AISI 1018 carbon steel, a general purpose steel exhibits excellent machining qualities which are perfect for a wide range of industrial applications.
1018 grade is a mild/low carbon steel which has proven excellent weldability. This grade is a general purpose steel along with a good case hardening quality. Compared to other low carbon grades like 1020, 1018 carbon steel contains higher manganese content.
1018 carbon steel has these good mechanical and physical properties such as strength, good balance of toughness, and ductility coupled with improved Brinell hardness and machining characteristics. To improve chemical composition, surface preparation, heating, and rolling processes, specific controls are implemented. Those processes are used to produce a superior quality product which is applied in fabrication processes like forging, machining, welding, cold drawing, drilling, and heat treating.
1018 steel grade can be easily welded through conventional welding processes. When 1018 carbon steel is in its carbonated and carburized state, welding is not allowed. During the welding procedure, low carbon welding electrodes are used instead of post heating and pre-heating.
Heat treating 1018 carbon steels involves processes such as normalizing, forging, tempering, annealing, stress relieving, case hardening, core refining, and carburizing.
As a general purpose steel, 1018 carbon steels are used for a wide variety of applications in both large and small industries.
- Used for crimping, bending, and swaging processes
- Used for mounting plates, fixtures, and spacers
- Used for cracking prevention in severe bends
- Used for machining, drilling, punching, and threading processes
- Used for providing soft core and high surface hardness to parts such as pins, special
- bolts, anchor pins, worms, pins, dogs, chain pins, ratchets, tie rods, oil tool slips,
- special bolts, chain pins, liners, studs, machinery, etc.
- Used for carburized parts like gears, dowels, worms, pins, non-critical components
- of tool and machinery parts, dowels, die sets, pinions, chain pins, and tool holders
- Used for applications where high strength of high carbon and alloy steels is not necessary
For more information about our services and product availability, you may contact us directly to talk to one of our steel experts or get our free quotation to be assisted with your requirements today!